Tuesday, February 24, 2009

True Rockstar

Listening to “So What?” by Pink, I can’t help but feel empowered. Yeah Pink was dissed by her husband, but so what…she’s still a rockstar. Just listening to her belt about her rock moves, I start to feel more confident too. Except when things get complicated in my own life.

I don’t know about you, but it’s not so easy for me to rock and roll through life when things get messy. When my boyfriend dumped me back in the day, the only way I channeled my inner “rockstar” was by consuming numerous pints of Cherry Garcia and Phish Food ice cream. Stuffing my feelings with ice cream didn’t work. They came back to bite me in the butt for years (literally and figuratively). That’s why these days, when I get that fridge invading-feeling or the urge start a fight (a la Pink), I take a deep breath and try to get some perspective into my feelings.

In Click! we talk about being where you are. So instead of pretending everything rocks when it doesn’t, I am trying to honor my feelings and listen to what they are trying to tell me. When I get anxious watching the news, or something negative happens, and I start to feel a pit in my stomach, I take a second to examine my feelings and question my beliefs.

There are no “shoulds” or “shouldn’ts” in handling obstacles. But I am finding that just taking the time to find perspecitve, helps build my confidence. When I feel confident, I know I will be “alright” and “just fine.” Maybe this is what being a true rockstar is all about.

- Elisabeth

Hey, E.,
I think Pink herself would be proud of the shout out here. It kinda makes me think of this season's American Idol contestants. The ones who repeatedly get all the votes are the ones who come across as truly authentic every week. They have the same vibe on stage as they do in candid interviews, and we can feel that they are the real deal. They are who they are - with flaming red hair or with a half pound of eyeliner - they are giving it to us straight from their core. I think that this sort of authenticity is where real rock star confidence comes from. 

- Annabel

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree that the American Idol Contestants seem really sincere both on stage and off.